The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Irving Steggles and Peter Golding


Death is a constant theme these days more than ever. In recent weeks I have heard from South Africa of the death of Irving Steggles. A Facebook page has been set up that can be found here. I myself have written

I count it a privilege to have known Pastor Irving Steggles. I only knew Irving in these more recent years when he was in South Africa, although I was aware of him from the time he began in the seminary and became pastor in Chippenham. He was a gentleman, a man of prayer and vision, a kind and courteous man of God, eager to see men and women of all backgrounds won to Christ. He will be sorely missed, especially in South Africa but also here in London and elsewhere in the UK. We should be thankful for all that the Lord did through him and pray that the work may go on even though God’s servant is now with his Lord, which is far better.

Peter Golding much older I would guess, was for long years pastor of Hayes Town Chapel and a member of the Westminster Fellowship, my main contact with him. He had been a Pentecostal in his younger days but had come to clearer views of the truth chiefly through Dr Lloyd-Jones, of whom he always spoke admiringly and warmly.
Faithful servants they have now attained to their eternal rest by the grace of God.

No comments: