The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 8 2021


There was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to Wales on weeks 5 and 7 and so my latest formal day off has been this last week, on Tuesday 23rd. There was time to get a coffee and have a short walk and there was some TV in the evening. The main thing, however, was reading two short items. First a small book on the doctrine of humanity by David McKay and then the latest edition of John Newton's Diary, that of 1765, which also led to some blogging on my Beddome blog. I'll try and properly review David McKay's A Christian’s Pocket Guide to Humanity Created and Re–created again but I am very positive. In fact the whole series looks good. The edition of the diary was great too. (I have mentioned the 1764 edition somewhere before now I would think). By the way the Newton is A4 and around 20 pages, the McKay is a lot smaller and about 108 pages.

No comments: