The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 30 2022

 


Only eight days ago, I guess, but it seems longer. A Ukrainian couple with little English came. They appear to be evamgelicals and after hearing of the terrible times in that country the day before my heart went out to them, although I will be surprised if we are what they are looking for. Also, a Koren couple who rarely turn up were there for once. I wonder if the disater in Soul the day before prompted them to come? I didn't get chance to speak to them. And then during the sermon I saw someone take a phone call and then come back and leave with his wife. Apparently the call was from Greece. His grandmother had died. PLenty of tohers around too including a SOuth African lady and her child who have begun to come but sadly she was in the relay room but with no relay, as it was not switched on. Modern problems. I preached from Luke 12 in the morning and a much smaller congregation in the evning from Job.

No comments: