The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek MidWales for a wedding, etc


On Tuesday, we headed to Wales as we do. First stop was Cardiff where things were all go for the new baby (news on that to follow). Then back to Newport for a rare brief encounter with my niece Dom, who lives in N Ireland, and my brother-in-law. Then with my sister to good old Llandegfedd Reservoir for a nice lunch (which she paid for) and catch up. We then dashed into a Next somewhere, where I grabbed a new tie and shirt and I headed back to Cardiff. From there we travelled, with my son Dylan and grandson Gruff, via Hywel Harris country, to a lovely Air BnB my wife had found in the wilds near Erwood (Great House Farm).
The next day we (Me, Eleri and our two youngest sons) were at a family wedding in Tall John's House near Brecon. My wife's cousin's daughter, Megan, was marrying James, another Cheshire lad (her sister Anya married his friend). The weather was not great but otherwise it was a lovely day. I find weddings difficult in some ways but had some good chats with my daughter-in-law's brother and wife and with my wife's cousin and her husband plus many others. Great day.
On the Thursday we went into Hay-on-Wye, a favourite of my son Dylan's, and a had a nice time there. I'm always disappointed to come away without a book, however. I was looking for Alexander McCall Smith but didn't see any.
Then yesterday (Friday) we came home via a brief stop in Cardiff, seeing Eleri's youngest sister who have just begun fostering. What a lovely few days.

No comments: