The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Family Devotions

A short while ago I added this hymn to my Ben Beddome Blog

IN all my ways, oh God,
I would acknowledge thee;
And seek to keep my heart and house
From all pollution free.

2 Where'er I have a tent,
An altar will I raise;
And thither my oblation bring,
Of humble prayer and praise.

3 Could I my wish obtain,
My household, Lord, should be,
Devoted to thyself alone,
A nursery for thee.

The family altar is very important. We have recently reverted to having our family prayers at breakfast (Mon-Fri). Along with banning TV on school mornings it has given us a new lease of life in an area where we often struggle.

No comments: