The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

How to raise a Pharisee


I got this from here.

Carey Hardy, Senior Pastor at Twin City Baptist, in Winston-Salem, NC, gave a seminar a couple of years ago at the Shepherds' Conference on How to Raise a Pharisee, which contains a number of helpful reminders of what not to do as a parent:

1. Majoring on external instead of internal issues
2. Excessive control
3. Overreacting to failure
4. Being unforgiving and impatient
5. Elevating preference over biblical principle
6. Unnecessary separatism
7. Judging others…other families
8. Being “belligerent”—a fighter
9. Favoritism
10. No humor
11. Building up their self-esteem
12. Lack of genuine spirituality

7 comments:

John said...

I’m a Pharisee in recovery
With new eyes I can see
A big sinner in me
It’s the way of my human heart
To confess other peoples’ sins
Reluctant to admit my part
Or the deeper problem within
But thank God he won’t let me be
Or remain in my hypocrisy
sooner or later I’ll be on my knees
Honest to God a recovering Pharisee

I’m a sinner and a saint Simultaneously
I’m not what I was
Or what I’m goin’ to be
Still I’ve got that ol’ tendency
To be all a wicked man can be
It takes more than knowin’ right from wrong
It takes more than singin’ gospel songs
It takes the life of The Great I Am
To produce any good in me
He’s the vine, I’m the branch And I’m learnin’ to be
Honest to God a recovering Pharisee

I need the God of all grace
Each and every day
If I’m to run this race
If I’m to walk in His way
I don’t have to be a slave to sin
I don’t have to let the devil win
‘Cause the Son of God lives in me
And His promise is to set me free
Jesus help my unbelief So I can follow You faithfully
You’re the Shepherd; I’m the sheep And you’re helpin’ me be
Honest to God a recovering Pharisee

Buddy Greene

Gary Brady said...

Thanks John I liked that. Should I know who Buddy Greene is?

Guy Davies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Guy Davies said...

So, dong all those things is wrong?

John said...

Gary,
Given your tastes in music, I doubt if you've heard of Buddy Greene. The song was recorded by Del McCoury who used to be lead singer for Bill Munroe who was one of the founding fathers of Bluegrass. Am I ringing any bells yet?
Buddy Greene himself is a Southern Gospel harmonica player and singer songwriter.

Gary Brady said...

At least the word bluegrass means something to me ('the most honest music in the world' a practioner once boasted) but I don't get beyond Dolly Parton and Alison Krauss in my knowledge of that sort of music.

John said...

I foresee a post entitled 'How to Raise a Philistine' coming on. You must have a listen to Runrig some time.