The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Things Seen 02

It was a Saturday morning in Golders Green. As I walked home I saw a large black hearse parked outside the Methodist Church. The funeral service was clearly taking place inside as there was no coffin in the hearse.
Among the flowers on top of the car I saw a card that looked rather colourful for such an occasion. As I drew alongside I glanced across to see what the card was and realised it was a mother's day one, still wrapped in its cellophane. I guess it had been bought in anticipation of Mothering Sunday the next day. 'To the best mum in the world'.
Since my own mother died some years ago Mother's Day has taken on a different complexion. For someone else the same thing was happening as I passed.
What sorrows we are surrounded by in this sad and fallen world. Roll on redemption.

No comments: