The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Works of fiction Penelope Fitzgerald


  1. The Golden Child (1977)
  2. The Bookshop (1978)
  3. Offshore (1979)
  4. Human Voices (1980)
  5. At Freddie's (1982)
  6. Innocence (1986)
  7. The Beginning of Spring (1988)
  8. The Gate of Angels (1990)
  9. The Blue Flower (1995)
  10. The Means of Escape (2000)*
*Short stories the others are all novels. I've read most of them.

3 comments:

Ed said...

I've read all her novels except At Freddie's. Brilliant. She's probably my favourite English writer of the last 50 years...

Gary Brady said...

Yes, "At Freddie's" seems not to be easily available. One day ... Tell me if you get there first.

Gary Brady said...

Will do