The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day July 26 2020

Great day Sunday. We began with communion at the chapel for members. I think we were about 8 or 9. I read the first part of the communion hymn by Horatius Bonar and then read from part of Luke 22. I focused on verse 15 where Jesus says I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. One of my deacons has bought a thousand small plastic communion cups (made in China I notice). He set out a number of these on a table, some with grape juice in and some with a small piece of bread in. People picked them up as they came in and then at the appropriate point we ate and drank. We closed with me reading the second part of Bonar's hymn.
After short break, after others joined us, we had our main morning service. We were 16 this week so we are slowly rising in numbers. I preached a one off on Luke 11:13. We began and ended with a hymn provided by EMW played over speakers while we sang in a mumble. Others joined us on zoom.
In the afternoon we had some people over to the house - quite a novelty. In the evening it was Zoom again looking at the final verses of Joshua 8. We also had an update from Eduardo Lemos, our member who heads, with his wife Anna Marzia, to Brazil next week to work with a church near Sao Paulo.

No comments: