The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 12 2021


Sunday was a little different in that I was preaching elsewhere, down in Halland Chapel, E Sussex. I've got to know the pastor Abe Thomas a little but it is the first time I have preached in the little independent chapel with its wooden pews. It took less than two hours do get down and another to get back. Satnavs are a mystery. Getting there involved quite a bit of cross country but coming back via M23 and M25 was pretty easy. I preached two recent textual sermons from Proverbs 28:13 and 1 John 2:1,2. If I have any skill at all it is being short and simple. Had a nice time in the afternoon with Abe and his wife and a few others. We must have been around 40 in the chapel in the morning but down to about 12 in the evening. It would have been similar here, I guess, where two seminary students kindly preached.

No comments: