The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting December 1 2021


December is here so I thought I'd begin a series on John 1:1-18 as one of the few Christmas stands for the season. (I am preaching away on December 12 and so my only Xmas slot is on December 19 is the only Sunday before Christmas, although I may well do something "Christmassy" on December 26). We looked at the first five verses on Wednesday and it was good to go through it again and look theologically at the incarnation once again. I found my self saying that John's Gospel is a bit like an episode of Columbo as, unlike most detective dramas where you discover the murderer at the end, so in John you get to know that Jesus of Nazareth is God from the very beginning. Good numbers, a long period chatting about the passage and collecting prayer fuel and then a good prayer time.

No comments: