The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Round up


December is such an odd month I've decided not to try and have formal days off this time. So there was no formal day off Tuesday though I did read a book about Picasso and dipped into Northanger Abbey, which I am presently reading. On Monday afternoon Eleri and I went for afternoon tea to the Halo bar and restaurant in the Hilton Hotel, Angel, Islington - a birthday present from back in September to Eleri from a couple in the church. (That same couple were involved in chasing after our dog when he got out and having tea with us later in the week.) On Monday evening I had a committee meeting in Ashford, Middlesex - first meet up in an age. Wednesday morning was our fraternal wander over the heath and in the evening it was the midweek meeting. On Thursday night Eleri and I watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles which neither of us had ever seen all the way through. Friday morning, I was visiting a couple who have begun to come to the church and today we are off to Folkestone for a farewell meeting for Reuben and Cathy Saywell. The rest of the time has gone on preparations for midweek and Sunday I guess.

No comments: