The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 05 2021


I often start on Christmas themes at this point but as I am away on the 12th I thought I would not this year. Instead we went to 1 John 2:1, 2 and the next psalm, Psalm 145. We had good attendances morning and evening. In the morning a lady we are praying for was there for the first time in a while, which was good. One of our attendees also brought someone and I had an interesting chat with her. She thinks she does not want a Calvinist church but I assured her we were Calvinist (she may well have doubted it as we sang a Charles Wesley hymn and I did not try to explain away the phrase the sins of the whole world which for the record I believe simply means "for all sorts of others"). I hope she returns. Another of our attendees brought his mother but she has no English. Our new Iranian couple found it hard to keep up too. In the evening we had old friends along - our former elder Robert Strivens and his wife Sarah and our former assistant Andrew Lolley and his wife Jill, both in town to preach elsewhere in the morning and then to attend the Westminster Conference on Monday and Tuesday, of which more anon. We had a lovely tea at home beforehand with those four and others. The services continue to be available on zoom.

No comments: