The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

No original ideas

Part of wisdom is to know yourself and one thing I learned about myself years ago was that, as far as I know, I've never had an original idea in my life. Everything I've got I got from other people. (I think I'm good at spotting good ideas, mind, so I'm not doing myself down here). The other day I came across some photographic evidence for this.I must be three or four here (the blonde - yes, that explains a lot). My cousin Steven is a year older. I've just spotted that this sticking your thumbs in your pockets is the next big thing. (That's my grandmother in the background. We're in a caravan in Porthcawl).

No comments: