The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 8 2020


Our student preached in the morning and I in the evening, He looked at Psalm 96 and I looked at Song of Songs 4. He did well despite a cold and I think I did okay. In the morning a Filipina mother and daughter came again as well as our new Sri Lankan family and another member returned from overseas travel. In the evening we had a well attended tea together. It was nice to have our Italian /Brazilian friends back from placement in Hemel Hempstead. Later our recently baptised member brought two friends. They seemed to cope well with being plunged straight into Song of Songs 4. (We also had a complete collapse on the third hymn, so bad I had to chose an alternative). Hope we see them again. Still loads missing, however - three sick, three still overseas, others I know not why. No Iranians in a while now. I think some serious prayer  needs to go down in the next few days.

No comments: