The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lesser known Toplady Hymn


I came across this Toplady hymn recently. Good for our times and any times. Verse 4 stands out.

Thrice comfortable hope 
That calms my stormy breast; 
My Father's hand prepares the cup, 
And what he wills is best. 

2 My fearful heart he reads; 
Secures my soul from harms; 
While underneath his mercy spreads 
Its everlasting arms! 

3 His skill infallible, 
His providential grace, 
His power and truth that never fail, 
Shall order all my ways. 

4 The fictious power of chance 
And fortune I defy: 
My life's minutest circumstance 
Is subject to his eye.

5 O might I doubt no more, 
But in his pleasure rest; 
Whose wisdom, love, and truth, and power,
Engage to make me blest!

1 comment:

Egertonian said...

I used to sing it in the church I grew up in. Its got fine sentiments and memorable lines and was often quoted from the pulpit.