The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Three Films


To go with my three disparate books, three films seen recently.
1. Parasite. Went to see this with my film student son, down in London for a few days. I can't recommend it due to language and themes touched on but it was interesting to find out what the fuss has been about. (It won the Palme d'Or at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival, the first Korean film to ever do so). Based in Korea, it follows the fortunes of a poor family (the Kims) as they work themselves in with a wealthy family (the Parks) in the suburbs. It then takes a surprising turn but manages to stay convincing. Quite Hitchcockian, I understand, it had a beginning, a middle and an end and one can forgive a lot when that is so. Apparently the director likes to explore the theme of class differences. Scholar stones are a Korean thing and I didn't really follow that element of the film. BTW ramdon is a made up name for jjapaguri.
2. Aeronauts. On Friday night my wife and I watched this on Netflix. It is not at all accurate historically and I didn't find it very interesting to be honest but watched to the end.
3. Call of the wild. This is about a dog and my youngest son was keen to see this. We got there slightly late (due to the rugby) but I don't think we missed much. It was an enjoyable film, although I have mixed feelings about cgi which doesn't look realistic. I have tried to read Jack London's book and I am not sure how faithful this latest version is but it really is pretty far fetched from what I know of dogs. Anyway my son was pleased.

No comments: