The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 1 2020

Miles behind with this but we began with communion last Sunday morning and then I preached on the fifth commandment. We had a good attendance but, as is so often the case, there were loads missing - away, sick or who knows. It was great to have one lady there who has been away in Jamaica for several weeks. A gentleman just back from The Philippines was also there in the evening. After the morning service we sang happy birthday, as we so often do. The evening was a little different. I have a student from the seminary on placement so I gave him a opportunity to preach. Thankfully he can preach and we had an excellent message from the beginning of Isaiah 43. I took the trouble to fill in a sermon evaluation form and that has proved useful. (See here for the one I used).

No comments: