The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

The Etymologicon

When I saw a hardback copy of Mark Forsyth's book on etymology going half price last Christmas in Aber I couldn't resist. Etymology is one of those subjects that I find irresistible. Forsyth has found his own persona (not one that is always appreciated by this reader) and that makes for easy reading as he leaps from subject to subject.
The book is written in such a ways that the last section brings you back to the very first. I couldn't really remember where we had come in to be honest by the end of the book but that is my poor recall rather than Forsyth's poor writing. Because of the way the book is written, however, there is no way of finding a half remembered reference, sadly. Forsyth's blog is here and if etymology is your thing also check this out.

No comments: