The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 18 2018


I'm rather behind with this, sorry. It was such an interesting day too. Firstly, my second son Dylan preached in the morning. I have not heard him before and I was mostly encouraged. It was a clear, warm, well ordered sermon, not too long, with a good introduction and on an excellent subject. It was from 2 Samuel 9. Dylan is pursuing theological studies with EMW and would like to be in a church in the South Wales area where his gifts can be developed. Of course, the snow kept some away, especially the older folk. Some have been away for a while now, though and I doubt if it was just the snow that made the difference. One man who comes on rare occasions slipped in at the start of the sermon and even though he slipped out for a reefer in the middle he was sstill able to tell me what the sermon's subject was. In the evening we had communion before the main meeting. I was welcoming in three new members who we accepted at our church meeting last Thursday. A couple in the seminary have now joined as associate members and a lady who was baptised with us many years and joined us is now back from a long period in Nigeria where she has suffered at the hands of the prosperity gospel people. Appropriately enough the evening sermon (from me) was on that famous passage about the church in Matthew 18:15-20. So a good day on the whole. Sorry not to have written it up sooner.

No comments: