The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lecture on Coggeshall at the Evangelical Library

I was able to give the second of this Spring's lunch time lectures at the Evangelical Library last Monday and it went well with a good number present. I threw in some pictures which helped. Having looked into Obadiah Sedgwick last year I discovered what a pot pourri of evangelical history swirls about Coggeshall and it seemed to me that it would be possible to produce a short spiritual history of the place of some interest. Not all my ideas come off but with references to a Marian martyr, Owen and Sedgwick, Spurgeon's grandfather and one or two others it went well. I wonder if there are other places that could bear similar treatments.

No comments: