The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 19 2020


It is important to encourage yourself and not dwell on minor details. So I'm ignoring the fact we faffed about looking for an alternative tune during the second morning hymn, when I remembered I wanted us to sing the set tune for something else in the evening, that I pulled the mic lead out at one point during the morning sermon and the fact the evening sermon could have been a few minutes shorter. Instead I am concentrating on a good turn out to evening communion (14!) and to evening service (20 or so) with a good number in the morning too. We had some visitors at both services - Christians from elsewhere and one or two others. I preached another straight evangelistic sermon this time from John 6:35 and an intro to Song of Solomon. One of the deacons turned 50 on Sunday so another cake with candles!

1 comment:

Baggz said...

Please send my Birthday wishes to Paul. Thapelo