The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 26 2020


Last Sunday was one of those red letter days that come now and again. In the morning we had a packed church present to witness the baptism of two young men, one of them my youngest son, Owain, who is nearly 19. He is the last of the boys to be baptised. All his brothers and many others from both families were there and other visitors too. I preached from 1 Corinthians 1, which is an unusual place to go but my point was that baptism is both important (it is a matter of obedience for every Christian) and unimportant for what really matters is hearing the gospel. There were several unbelievers present so I hope the message got across. We sat down to lunch in the chapel after that. We must have been about fifty for that. I'm sorry we weren't a few more, though where we would have sat them I do not know. By the evening we were down to a more typical 15 for the second sermon on Song of Songs. I did better this week but still need to get it more streamlined.

No comments: