The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hermeneutics and The Great Tradition


On Monday I was at the Pastors Academy in Finchley for our reading group. We had a decent turn out and enjoyed discussing Interpreting Scripture in the Great Tradition by Canadian Craig Carter who was in The London Seminary a short while back. Whenever we read these books I imagine I will be out on a limb in my thinking but I seldom am. It's not surprising really when I think how most of us are Reformed and Baptist for that matter. THis time rounf was typical. We all liked much of the book but thought it a bit prolix and full of generalisations and open to challenge at certain points. So worth a read and helpful both for itself and in introducing us to other writers old (Augustine, Aquinas, etc) and new (Webster, Boersma, etc). Next meeting on Richard Hays, Reading backwards.

No comments: